Visiting a gastrointestinal specialist near me Cypress, TX means improving and maintaining your digestive health. Luckily for you, a gastrointestinal specialist near me can pinpoint and treat any persisting stomach problems you may have. Rather than enduring the discomfort of your digestive issue, contact the Katy Stomach Doctor clinic. Doctor James Maher is a board-certified stomach doctor who can help you.
What is a gastrointestinal or GI specialist?
Gastrointestinal (GI) specialists or gastroenterologists find and fix problems in the digestive system, which includes the esophagus, stomach, intestines, liver, pancreas, and gallbladder. They are taught how to do endoscopic procedures, like colonoscopies and upper endoscopies, to look for and treat problems in the digestive system, like ulcers, polyps, tumors, and inflammation.
GI experts also treat long-term conditions like Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). They also check for colon cancer. They might work with other experts, like doctors and dietitians, to give patients with digestive problems the best care possible.
When you are looking for a gastrointestinal specialist near me, Dr. Maher can help. The clinic of Katy Stomach Doctor has several medical services that can pinpoint, treat, and alleviate your stomach problems. With Dr. Maher’s help, you can manage any chronic symptoms and improve your stomach’s health.
How a Gastrointestinal Specialist Near Me Cypress, TX Can Help
Also called stomach doctors, GI experts focus on their patients’ digestive health. Unlike primary care doctors who know a bit about everything, GI experts’ expertise covers the digestive system, organs, and functions. If there is something wrong with your stomach or another part of your digestive system, a stomach doctor like Dr. Maher can help. An expert in digestive problems can also help patients by:
- Figuring out and treating digestive problems: Gastrointestinal specialists near me are trained to find and treat a wide range of digestive problems, such as GERD, gastritis, ulcers, hepatitis, pancreatitis, liver disease, celiac disease, and more.
- Performing screenings and procedures: As part of their job, they are trained to do diagnostic procedures like endoscopies, colonoscopies, and biopsies to find out what is causing symptoms or to check for conditions like colon cancer.
- Giving the right medicines: Gastrointestinal specialists near me can give medicines to help digestive disorders and ease their symptoms. They also give advice on how to take vitamins and over-the-counter medicines.
- Giving nutritional advice: GI experts and dietitians often work together to help patients with inflammatory bowel disease, food sensitivities, or malabsorption disorders make changes to their diets. They might suggest certain foods or supplements help you feel better and make your life better.
- Keeping an eye on and taking care of long-term conditions: People who have long-term digestive problems often need ongoing care. A stomach expert can monitor symptoms, make changes to treatment plans, and advise on how to manage a disease best to improve general health.
In general, GI experts know how to identify, treat, and manage a wide range of digestive problems. They help their patients get better digestive health and relief from their symptoms. If you need the help of a GI expert, Dr. Maher from the Katy Stomach Doctor can help you.
What Can Stomach Doctors Treat?
The first priority for any stomach doctor is to diagnose and treat diseases that affect the stomach. A good many issues that plague us or cause discomfort stem from the stomach. Although most of them will pass with medicine, some of them stick around or are caused by a deeper lying issue. Some of these diseases are:
- Acid Reflux
- Cancers that start from the digestive system
- Gastroparesis, which causes nausea, bloating, and stomachaches
Of course, those are not the only stomach issues that a stomach doctor can treat. Although those are issues that can alarm any patient and need immediate attention, a stomach doctor can also help you figure out the reason behind more mundane issues, such as diarrhea, stomachaches, nausea, or other common problems. After all, these can be symptoms of another underlying issue.
Doctors who specialize in the stomach can help their patients by carefully examining them, using diagnostic tests, figuring out the best ways to treat them (such as with medicine, changes to their lifestyle, or surgery), and keeping an eye on their conditions on an ongoing basis. They may also work closely with other experts to create personalized meal plans that help patients with certain stomach problems.
Why Should You Get a Cancer Screening from a Stomach Doctor?
Talking to a stomach doctor is important to find out how often and what kind of cancer scans are best for you based on your age, risk factors, and medical history. They will be able to give you personalized advice and make sure you get the tests you need to avoid getting cancer and find it early. Of course, a stomach doctor will be able to screen for stomach cancers, but here at the Katy Stomach Doctor, we can also screen for colon cancer.
People do not always know they have stomach cancer until it is very far along because the early signs are not always obvious and can be confused for other health problems. By getting regular checkups with a stomach doctor, any problems or changes that could lead to cancer in the stomach lining can be found early, which improves the chances of successful treatment.
Get the Help of a Stomach Doctor
Dr. James Maher is a doctor who continues his research and studies to help as many patients as he can. If you ever need his help, you can get in touch with our team by contacting our clinic. We are located in a convenient location in the Katy area, and you can reach us during our office hours.
Cypress, Texas (Harris County) Fun Facts:
- Cypress is home to the premium Houston outlet mall.
- There are several different breweries in Cypress.
- It ranks in the top 100 highest-income urban areas in the US.